Re: Source code editor

I have to agree completely with this poster.  I started learning VIM 3
years ago when my employer insisted that I use a windows workstation.
I hated it so much that I decided to live in a full screen PuTTY,
SSHed to their Linux and FreeBSD servers.  I decided that what ever
new editor I learned would be the last editor I ever learned.  The
fact that VIM in on every single server I've ever seen was very
attractive.  It took a few months to get my .vimrc setup to where I
liked it and to learn the main functionality.  (I plastered my cubical
in cheat sheets.)  I then discovered that after 25 years of typing
wrong, it was time to learn to touch type.  I took sandpaper to my
keyboard, and after the most frustrated 2 weeks of my life, I was an
expert.

The best thing is that I know all I have to do is scp my .vimrc file
into my home folder on any server and I can edit files there just as
comfortably as I would locally.  The cool thing is that I NEVER use
ftp, scp, or rsync to send files to a dev server that I edited
locally.  I edit them on the server.

Combine remote editing with Gnu Screen, and you have the ability to
start editing a file from you office.  Then open the Screen session
from home or a coworkers machine and see everything exactly as you
left it.  Oh, and you will never again say "dang, I forgot to nohup
that process."

SSH + Gnu Screen + VIM = Happy Productive Programmer

--
.!# RichardBronosky #!.