Re: JFS

On 16/04/2008, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

I usually fill up tmp with crap.

but i did follwo up some more on jfs , seems like there is no full time
maintenance on it so, and i had thought I had read that it was meant to
be fast for lots of small files, but I must have miss read that.

Hey,
  IIRC, JFS is/was more well known for dealing with large files,
similar to XFS.
  You may have been thinking of reiserfs. It is great for
lots of small files as it has a feature is called 'tail packing'[1].
Files under the block size are stored directly in the name tree.
For files larger than this the 'tail' of the file is stored in the tree.
E.g. for a 4KB block size, a 9KB file would use 2 blocks and the
remainder would be stored in the tree.
  This can cause an extra seek when reading a file, but is often
covered by read-ahead and/or ncq when reading more than a
single file. You can mount with `-o notail` to turn it off.

cheers,
Owen.

[1] The wikipedia page has a little info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReiserFS#Design

I am going to still to ext3, wait till ext4 comes ready and keep using
xfs for my large (video) partitions