Re: JFS

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:39:05PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 07:26:15AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > I remember reading in the list that JFS was a dying FS, because IBM
> > wasn't maintaining it full time. And that it might disappear from the
> > kernel soon.
> >
> > Any one still using it.  I was actually thinking of using it for my /tmp
> > directory
>
> It would be a waste on /tmp since /tmp is cleared on reboot you don't
> need to waste time on a fsck.   I just have extra swap and have tmp on a
> tmpfs.  /tmp doesn't usually get used much so it may as well reside in
> memory.  Combined with an encrypted swap it gives handy encrypted
> filesystem for some scratch work.
I usually fill up tmp with crap.

but i did follwo up some more on jfs , seems like there is no full time
maintenance on it so, and i had thought I had read that it was meant to
be fast for lots of small files, but I must have miss read that.

I am going to still to ext3, wait till ext4 comes ready and keep using
xfs for my large (video) partitions