Re: euro sign / nobreak space

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 09:20:29 +0200, Manon Metten wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> Although it works now as I applied the suggestions of Nigel Henry
> (please see my previous reply), there's still this inconsistency in
> the xkb_keymap. Here's my current setting:
>
> M> setxkbmap -print
> xkb_keymap {
>         xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"       };
>         xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
>         xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
>         xkb_symbols   { include "pc(pc105)+us+level3(ralt_switch_multikey)
> +compose(menu)+eurosign(5)+nbsp(level3)"  };
>         xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc104)"     };
> };
>
> There's only one line that differs from the old line which was
> "xkb_symbols { include
> "pc(pc105)+us+compose(menu)+eurosign(5)+nbsp(level3)" };"
>
> I don't understand how to correct this pc104/105 inconsistency. But as
> all works now, it might be irrelevant now.

I like the KDE dialogs as a quick way to look up what certain options
are called (without diving into /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg), but then
I always put my settings into xorg.conf and disable the KDE additions
again. That has the advantage that I will still get my desired
keyboard behavior even if KDE is broken and I have to start Xorg
manually. In the end it is a matter of personal preference, of course.

> BTW: I have a 104-key pc keyboard. It has a one-row Enter key with the
> backslash/pipe key above it.
>
> xmodmap -pm still has the same output as before

[...]

> mod5 Mode_switch (0x5d), ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)
>
> But still missing what you said:
> >
> > Something is missing in the "mod5" line: ISO_Level3_Shift (0x71)

That does not matter anymore since you have nevertheless assigned the
ISO_Level3_Shift symbol to AltGr due to "level3(ralt_switch_multikey)".

> Current:
> M>  xmodmap -pke | egrep 'EuroSign|Level'
> keycode  14 = 5 percent EuroSign NoSymbol EuroSign
> keycode 113 = ISO_Level3_Shift Multi_key
> keycode 124 = ISO_Level3_Shift
>
> The line keycode 113 ...    is new.

As I said, now you have "level3(ralt_switch_multikey)".

> Do you think, regarding that all is working now like I requested, that
> I still should eliminate this pc104/105 inconsistency?

I think it is very unlikely (but not impossible) that you will ever have
problems because of the present configuration.

> Finally, in Control Center/Xkb options I read "Third level
> choosers/Press Right Alt key to choose third level, Shift+ Right Alt
> key is Multi_Key."

That is the reason you have "keycode 113 = ISO_Level3_Shift Multi_key"
in the output above. You also have the used the "compose(menu)" option
so you should have "keycode 117 = Multi_key" in addition to that.
Therefore you have two possibilities to access the Multi_key
functionality, either by pressing SHIFT - AltGr or by using the Menu key
(i.e. the key between the Windows and the CTRL key on the right hand
side of the keyboard).

> What is this Multi_Key? What's it used for?

It is used to "compose" special characters by pressing two or more keys
in succession. For example:

Multi_Key  then  "  then  a  produces  ä
Multi_Key  then  ~  then  n  produces  ñ
Multi_Key  then  /  then  o  produces  ø
Multi_Key  then  -  then  L  produces  £
Multi_Key  then  =  then  C  produces  €
Multi_Key  then  =  then  E  produces  €
Multi_Key  then  o  then  o  produces  °

("then" indicates pressing the keys one after the other, releasing each
 key before the next one is pressed)

See /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose for more combinations.

          Florian   |