Re: euro sign / nobreak space

[ Please try to turn off the HTML part. ]

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:00:05 +0200, Manon Metten wrote:
> On 4/13/08, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> Send us the output of the following three commands:
> >
> > setxkbmap -print
>
> xkb_keymap {
> xkb_keycodes { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)" };
> xkb_types { include "complete" };
> xkb_compat { include "complete" };
> xkb_symbols { include "pc(pc105)+us+compose(menu)+eurosign(5)+nbsp(level3)" };
> xkb_geometry { include "pc(pc104)" };
> };

I don't think it is the cause for the present problems, but I would
nevertheless fix the pc104/pc105 inconsistency. Check which keyboard you
have: The pc105 model has a "tall" ENTER key (spanning two rows of keys
and reaching up to the backspace key) while the pc104 model has a
one-row ENTER key with the backslash/pipe key above it. You can use the
"xkeycaps" package to display graphical representations of the different
layouts.

> xmodmap -pm
>
> xmodmap: up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
>
> shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e)
> lock Caps_Lock (0x42)
> control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x6d)
> mod1 Alt_L (0x40), Alt_L (0x7d), Meta_L (0x9c)
> mod2 Num_Lock (0x4d)
> mod3
> mod4 Super_L (0x7f), Hyper_L (0x80)
> mod5 Mode_switch (0x5d), ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)

Something is missing in the "mod5" line: ISO_Level3_Shift (0x71)

> xmodmap -pke | egrep 'EuroSign|Level'
>
> keycode 14 = 5 percent EuroSign NoSymbol EuroSign
> keycode 124 = ISO_Level3_Shift

The AltGr key has keycode 113 (0x71) for both the pc104 and the pc105
keyboard model. (You can check with "xev" from "x11-utils".) In your
case it does not have the ISO_Level3_Shift symbol associated with it, so
it produces "Alt_R", which acts the same as the left ALT key. This is
the expected behavior for the "basic" variant of the "us" layout.

You can either use KDE's "Xkb Options" tab to add the option "Third
level choosers > Press Right Alt key to choose 3rd level", or you can
use the "Layout" tab to select the "euro" variant of the "us" layout
(which already includes both the "lvl3:ralt_switch" and the "eurosign:5"
option.)

The same setup can be achieved via /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Your pc104/5
inconsistency is probably the result of contradicting settings in
xorg.conf and in the KDE keyboard dialogs.

> > the
>
> Then we also need the output of:
> >
> > xmodmap -pke | grep space
>
> keycode 65 = space space nobreakspace NoSymbol nobreakspace

This should work as soon as you have the ISO_Level3_Shift symbol
associated with the AltGr key.

          Florian   |