VLANs on Debian Etch

Hey everyone,

I've been googling around for information regarding VLANs on debian. What I need to do is create a VLAN interface so that all packets outgoing from my Etch box (telnet, pings, etc.) are tagged with a specific VLAN. I am not sure how this is done in etch.

Here is a summary of what I found:

 * VLAN support has been integrated into Linux Kernel since 2.4.14.

 * Not all network cards support VLAN tagging. How do I find out if it does?

 * Configuring VLAN is done through the 'vconfig' program but it is not installed by default in etch.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Amit