Re: VLANs on Debian Etch

On Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 12:52:12 -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

>  * VLAN support has been integrated into Linux Kernel since 2.4.14.

  Yes.

>  * Not all network cards support VLAN tagging. How do I find out if it does?

  Try it and see?

>  * Configuring VLAN is done through the 'vconfig' program but it is
> not installed by default in etch.

  Indeed.  But you can get it and set it up easily:

    "apt-get install vlan"
    "vi /etc/network/config"  - then add something like:

auto eth0:1
iface eth0:1 inet static
address 10.0.0.3
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.0.0.1
vlan_raw_device eth0

   Obviously the network and device settings will vary.

> Any ideas?

  Hard to say, there is a rough overview above, but you don't say
 what you've tried, or what you'd like to do.  Honestly if you don't
 offer evidence of putting in a minimal bit of evidence it is likely
 your message(s) will just be deleted..

Steve
--
# Commercial Debian GNU/Linux Support