Re: VLANs on Debian Etch

On 2008-04-13T12:52:12-0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
>  * Not all network cards support VLAN tagging. How do I find out if it does?

Look at the hardware specifications published by vendor, or failing that look
at the retail specifications.

>  * Configuring VLAN is done through the 'vconfig' program but it is not installed by default in etch.

$ apt-file search bin/vconfig
vlan: sbin/vconfig

The other important piece of data is setting up suitable interfaces in
/etc/network/interfaces.  Here is what I do:

[...]

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth0.1