Re: browsers have become memory hogs

On 04/11/2008 09:10 AM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
Is there any way, instead of restricting a resource, to have a command executed when a setpoint for a given resource is reached? Say, when FF uses 200M of virtual memory, or over 30% of CPU, a job runs which pops up a warning message. That way you know that a problem exists and can handle it BEFORE it gets to the point where the system is locking up.

That sounds like the sort of thing a debugger does, so I suggest trying out gdb. The last time I looked at the gdb info page, I got a headache, but you might install 'gdb-doc' and do an "info gdb"