Re: how to fix my broken system..

On 04/11/2008 03:59 AM, Jaisen N.D. wrote:
Hai I have a problem here.
I use Etch. I have installed a postgresql package from debian backports,
with the following command.
#apt-get -t etch-backports install postgresql-8.3
[...]

For future reference, you almost never need to use "-t <distribution>" when using backports.org. Instead you set up your /etc/apt/sources.list to pull from only the directories on backports.org that support your chosen distribution.

Read the dpkg manual page and look into the "--force" options because you may have to remove postgresql-8.3 by force. Pay special attention to the warning on the dpkg manual page.

Good luck.