Re: browsers have become memory hogs

On 04/10/2008 10:24 PM, paragasu wrote:
same thing happen to me. i am using debian sid.
before i do dist-upgrade a week ago. i have the same problem. FF use
97% of the CPU after i open few tabs (my laptop using 256MB + Via C3 1G
CPU)..
especially when i watch youtube.

i have to kill the process manually from the terminal because FF stop
responding and
the computer soooo slow. after upgrade FF use 15% of CPU. i don't think the
problem
solved yet. but i will know .. :P

You can restrict FF to use a limited amount of memory. Although it would blow FF out of the water, you could do a "ulimit -Sv 200000" before starting firefox. Do this in a script.

If FF requires more than 200MB of virtual memory, the O/S will abort it spontaneously. Okay, I admit that that is a brute force way of dealing with the problem, but you'd have to abort FF anyway once it has locked up due to swapping.

I might¹ do it this way:

#!/bin/sh
ulimit -Sv 200000
firefox

In a bash terminal window, type "help ulimit" to see what ulimit does. Good luck.

¹ No, in reality, I would just disable flash and not watch youtube. Indeed, I'm not watching right now :-)