Re: [VERY OT while waiting for Lenny?] reminiscing on old computers

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:48:18PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 06:18:51PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 08:23:20PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >
> > so now we can twiddle our thumbs, go on random OT rants and rest
> > assured that lenny will be out any time. When's the next utnubu due
> > out? That always brings a few interesting ones. Maybe we should run
> > some more google trends charts?
> >

> We could reminise about my 486 that doesn't run Debian anymore.  I
> wonder if Lenny will run on my P-II or if that's another box for
> OpenBSD.

hmmm... good question. It doesn't seem to me like there's been as much
change between etch and lenny, relative to the sarge->etch
transition. Of course, being all sid for my human-facing machines, I
haven't used an etch-like system in a while now...

> I remember my 386.  It was an IBM PS/2 model 70-A21.  It came with the
> then-unherd of 120MB hard drive, MCA bus, and I put 4 MB ram into it,
> running OS/2, IBM Fortran compiler (the reason I bought a computer in
> the first place), WordPerfect 4.?, and AutoCad 11.

my household server here (bigmomma, .5TB) started out on an old
pentium 90 system with the cpu on a daughter board. over time, that
slot "wore out" (don't ask me how, because I don't know). At the end,
I had to keep a rubberband pulling that daughter board at just the
right angle, or the thing would lock up and not boot. Worked like that
for years.

> Any way, I wonder if any on-topic stuff has come up?

not yet....