Re: [VERY OT while waiting for Lenny?] reminiscing on old computers

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 07:17:49PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:48:18PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 06:18:51PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 08:23:20PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > We could reminise about my 486 that doesn't run Debian anymore.  I
> > wonder if Lenny will run on my P-II or if that's another box for
> > OpenBSD.
>
> hmmm... good question. It doesn't seem to me like there's been as much
> change between etch and lenny, relative to the sarge->etch
> transition. Of course, being all sid for my human-facing machines, I
> haven't used an etch-like system in a while now...

The big problem was the memory requirements with bash hitting swap on
the 486 in Etch but not Sarge.  I wonder how much memory Lenny's
installer will need; the P-II only has 64 MB.

> my household server here (bigmomma, .5TB) started out on an old
> pentium 90 system with the cpu on a daughter board. over time, that
> slot "wore out" (don't ask me how, because I don't know). At the end,
> I had to keep a rubberband pulling that daughter board at just the
> right angle, or the thing would lock up and not boot. Worked like that
> for years.

Aren't you the one that said using a VT520 to access a P-II to ssh into
an Athlon64 to read mail was rube-goldberg?

Thanks Mr. Pot.

Kettle.

:)