Re: PTP camera, setting rights does not work

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 04/06/08 16:31, Anton Pussep wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 04/06/08 13:43, Anton Pussep wrote:
I experience difficulties to access my PTP camera as non-root. The
camera is a Canon A580, that supports PTP via USB very well. I can
access the camera as root, but not as a local user.
Using the gphoto manual
(http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html) I tried to make
hotplug and HAL set permissions, but it did not work. For hotplug I
created a usbcam.usermap and a usbcam script, but the script does not
get executed. After that I tried HAL, but it seems like there is no
policy file for gphoto.
I don't know how to proceed in this problem, may be someone else has an
idea? Who should be responsible for setting rights in general, hotplug
or HAL? Why isn't there a policy file for gphoto, when there is an
information file?
Add yourself to the camera and plugdev groups.
There is no group "camera" in my system. I added myself to the group
"plugdev", however, but it did not help.

Then you need to create it.  BTW, what branch are you running?

I did, but it didn't help. I still couldn't find any file that refers to the "camera" group. I am running Debian lenny (testing), last upgraded on 6th of April 2008.

My main question is where are the permissions set? They are not
hardcoded or set magically I guess, there must be a script that is
responsible for doing so.

By udev.

Okay, there is a file /etc/udev/libgphoto2.rules, it only mentions the "plugdev" group. But even though my user is in that group (and also "camera"), it still does not work.

So which devices group is supposed to be set to "plugdev" or "camera", anyway? dmesg output says:

usb 2-10: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4

But this doesn't really help.