Re: PTP camera, setting rights does not work

Thanks for your reply:

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 04/06/08 13:43, Anton Pussep wrote:
I experience difficulties to access my PTP camera as non-root. The
camera is a Canon A580, that supports PTP via USB very well. I can
access the camera as root, but not as a local user.

Using the gphoto manual
(http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html) I tried to make
hotplug and HAL set permissions, but it did not work. For hotplug I
created a usbcam.usermap and a usbcam script, but the script does not
get executed. After that I tried HAL, but it seems like there is no
policy file for gphoto.

I don't know how to proceed in this problem, may be someone else has an
idea? Who should be responsible for setting rights in general, hotplug
or HAL? Why isn't there a policy file for gphoto, when there is an
information file?

Add yourself to the camera and plugdev groups.

There is no group "camera" in my system. I added myself to the group "plugdev", however, but it did not help.

My main question is where are the permissions set? They are not hardcoded or set magically I guess, there must be a script that is responsible for doing so.

Best,
Anton