Re: another X server restarts

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 16:53:22 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thu April 3 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > I guess the first thing to do is to unload the nvidia module and to try
> > running X with the "nv" driver. If the problem persists with the open
> > source driver then you have at least a chance to debug it further. In
> > that case you should also have a look at the hardware more closely
> > (memtest, power supply voltages, etc.).
>
> I have done the memtest(no errors), but the nv driver is.... SLOW...
> I think most of my issues are related to the fact that i went from Etch to
> adding the sources for Lenny, upgrading... then having NVIDIA not work, so I
> went back to Etch, but still with all the upgrades for Lenny.. If I could get
> it all back to Etch I would, but I don't want to reinstall..

You can try to pin "stable" to a priority greater than 1000 (see "man
apt_preferences") and do a dist-upgrade. This will work to some extent,
but there will almost certainly be a number of issues that you have to
fix manually. ("Downgrading is not officially supported.") My feeling is
that reinstalling will be quicker and less of a hassle.

          Florian   |