Re: another X server restarts

On Thu April 3 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> That looks like a normal sequence of startup messages to me. This would
> mean that your Xorg crashed so hard that it could not even write
> anything into the log anymore, which would indicate a serious issue with
> the graphics driver or a hardware problem. Keep in mind, though, that
> the previous log is normally overwritten when kdm restarts X. Check if
> you have /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old and look for error messages in there.
>
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux paulandcilla 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 22:11:31 UTC 2008 i686
> > GNU/Linux
> >
> > $ ps -ef|grep kdm
> > root      4698     1  0 Mar28 ?
> > 00:00:00 /usr/bin/kdm -config /var/run/kdm/kdmrc
>
> I guess the first thing to do is to unload the nvidia module and to try
> running X with the "nv" driver. If the problem persists with the open
> source driver then you have at least a chance to debug it further. In
> that case you should also have a look at the hardware more closely
> (memtest, power supply voltages, etc.).

I have done the memtest(no errors), but the nv driver is.... SLOW...
I think most of my issues are related to the fact that i went from Etch to
adding the sources for Lenny, upgrading... then having NVIDIA not work, so I
went back to Etch, but still with all the upgrades for Lenny.. If I could get
it all back to Etch I would, but I don't want to reinstall..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800