Re: another X server restarts

On Sat April 5 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> You can try to pin "stable" to a priority greater than 1000 (see "man
> apt_preferences") and do a dist-upgrade. This will work to some extent,
> but there will almost certainly be a number of issues that you have to
> fix manually. ("Downgrading is not officially supported.") My feeling is
> that reinstalling will be quicker and less of a hassle.

thanks,
I added a preferences file, and tried an upgrade. It removed one package:
Keep the following packages at their current version:
libquicktime1 [2:1.0.0+debian-5 (now)]

Score is 190

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libquicktime0{a}

the system isn't bad enough for a complete reinstall, so I think I'll wait for
the release upgrade.. As long as everything works that I need to work, I can
handle getting logged out once in a while, as long as that's all it does.
At least the apt_preferences had examples I could use!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800