Re: Why debian sucks! [was Re: Distributions]

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Andrew Sackville-West
<andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> Might as well draw some attention with a good subject line ;-P
>
>  On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:50:02AM +0200, Ivan Savcic wrote:
>  >
>  > While we're on the topic, can anyone sum it up, what do people
>  > generally think is "bad" with Debian?
>
>  The only thing I think is bad about debian is the perception of it
>  being crusty and outdated. It comes from a basic misunderstanding
>  of how the various debian branches work. More than once I've spoken to
>  people who had that feeling about debian until they actually tried it
>  and learned how it worked.

But mixing branches (stable, testing and unstable) is a no-no, because
they depend on different versions of libraries.

On the other hand, Backports aside, the list of unofficial APT
repositories at apt-get.org is either outdated or the repositories
listed there are, because few of them have etch supported. Any other
source?

>  Oh, and the other thing I don't like is how darn easy it is. It makes
>  it hard to learn anything past a certain point... hence my occaisional
>  attempts to do things the hard way...

Hahah, true. ;)

Ivan