Re: I would like to give my congradulation

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 08:43:53AM -0600, Walt L. Williams wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> I just made the move from SuSE 10.3 to Debian Etch.
>
> When I updated from SuSE 10.0 to 10.3 I found myself
> disgusted at how unpolished and rough it was. Things
> that worked before didn't after the update. XMMS was
> gone, I couldn't play MP3's, the online update feature

I think xmms is no more anyway.

> was broken, and even Audacity (an audio editor) appears
> to have been setup so it wouldn't read in MP3 files.
> (This is how I convert the MP3 files I get a hold of to OGG's.)

Also stock Debian. You have to get "lame" from
http://www.debian-multimedia.org

> Debian Etch is by far better polished than SuSE 10.3.
> And as I have tried out previous Debian versions I must
> say that Etch is the best version of Debian yet. Even
> with the apparent license paranoia over the Acrobat
> reader and Firefox. (Both Free mind you) Although,
> there might be more to this than I am aware of.

There is. See the "Debian Free Software Guidelines" (DFSG)
I'd say a search on google for something like "Why isn't firefox in
Debian" should, hopefully, provide a reasonable answer.

> (One request though. I prefer KDE and it would be nice
> to have the option of which GUI I would like to use,
> as it took a bit of hoop jumping to get the system
> loaded with KDE.)
>
> Overall  --  Great job Debian Developers!!!!!!!!!
> Keep it going
>
> Walt
> in Boulder, Colorado
>
> (I wouldn't mind joining the effort once I get through
> a few more of my comp science classes.)

Have a look through.
http://www.debian.org/devel/

--