Re: exim/postfix comparisons

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:13:37PM +0100, Martin Marcher wrote:

> I guess I'll add myself to the sendmail people then. Can't be that bad
> and I don't plan to spend vast amounts of time on that, only on a as
> needed basis :)
>
> >  If it were me and I only knew postfix, I'd find something else to do
> >  than learn another MTA.
>
> Well sometimes when a client asks you "And why exactly do you use
> postfix" you just can't answer "Because it's the only tool I know" :)

True.  However, "Because it does everything I've ever needed it to do
and has an excellent security record" is pretty good, for whatever
software you're using.

If you want to learn Sendmail without messing up your own box while
you're learning, I'd suggest finding any old box and installing OpenBSD
on it.  Just read their online FAQ (which is like a
perpetually-up-to-date combo debian-reference and installation manual),
the arch-specific INSTALL (e.g. i386INSTALL), and get the 4.2
install42.iso.  Or, if you have decent internet access, just get the
install floppy (only one) which works like Debian's businesscard.iso.

You'll get the full OBSD with sendmail and all the other neat base tools
(lynx, vi, apache, ftp,...) with full documentation.  Install it on the
old box and learn away.

Doug.