Re: etch nvidia xorg nvidia-glx-legacy X crashes

Hugh Lawson wrote:

Since posting, I've done some more work.

nvidia-glx-legacy has been purged; now I have nvidia-glx.

AFAIK you don't need nvidia-glx if you are using the script from the nvidia site. nvidia-glx is for the module in the repository.

Nevertheless, /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx causes the same problem, when
used along with the nvidia proprietary installer. I do not understand
this technically, only empirically from trial-and-error. Somehow,
the /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx init script fiddles around with library
files and links, that are needed by the "nvidia" module, as it is
installed by:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run
Hence, /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx on the next boot changes things in a way
that won't let X start.  To fix this, I did once more:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run

and then:

cd /etc/init.d/
sudo mv nvidia-glx XXnvidia-glx

That paralyzes the /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx script and prevents it from
messing up the links and files needed by the "nvidia" module as
installed by NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run.

I don't understand what the /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx script is supposed
to accomplished, and how I can get along without it.

You are mixing the two methods of installing the the nvidia module.
1. Use the script from the nvidia site and nothing else.
2. Install the nvidia module for your kernel from the repository, which will also require the nvidia-glx package that matches the module version.

Either purge the nvidia-glx package and reinstall the NVIDIA script or remove the NVIDIA script and then install the modules from the repository.

HTH

Wackojacko

NB if you run custom built kernel you can build the nvidia module using module-assistant

As root

#aptitude install module-assistant
#m-a prepare
#m-a a-i nvidia