Re: etch nvidia xorg nvidia-glx-legacy X crashes

Owen wrote:

>   Are you using the legacy
> drivers or are they simply being installed alongside and causing issues?
>
>   The nvidia-glx-legacy isn't for the Geforce4 line:

[ snip ]

> This is the 'legacy' driver for older chipsets. Unless your chipset is
> explicitly listed in the above paragraph, please use the nvidia-glx driver,
> which is much more up to date.

Thanks Owen.

Since posting, I've done some more work.

nvidia-glx-legacy has been purged; now I have nvidia-glx.

Nevertheless, /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx causes the same problem, when
used along with the nvidia proprietary installer. I do not understand
this technically, only empirically from trial-and-error. Somehow,
the /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx init script fiddles around with library
files and links, that are needed by the "nvidia" module, as it is
installed by:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run

Hence, /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx on the next boot changes things in a way
that won't let X start.  To fix this, I did once more:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run

and then:

cd /etc/init.d/
sudo mv nvidia-glx XXnvidia-glx

That paralyzes the /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx script and prevents it from
messing up the links and files needed by the "nvidia" module as
installed by NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run.

I don't understand what the /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx script is supposed
to accomplished, and how I can get along without it.

--
Hugh Lawson
hlawson@triad.rr.com