Re: sort files by name and maintain sort order when copying to mp3 player

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Russell L. Harris <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:
> After two hours of searching with Google and Yahoo, I have not found a
>  good approach to the problem of maintaining proper file order when
>  copying mp3 files from an ext3 directory to a flash-based mp3 player.
>
>  Contrary to the instruction manual, the player (a Creative MUVO) plays
>  files in the order in which they are written to flash memory, so if I
>  have an audio book with a hundred chapters on an ext3 drive and then
>  copy the book to the mp3 player, the chapters do not necessarily play
>  in proper sequence.

I had a similar problem with a lousy mp3 player. What I did was copy
the files directory by directory.

This does not work:
cp -r ~/mp3/a_directory /mnt/usb

This works and mantains the order:
mkdir /mnt/usb/a_directory
cp ~/mp3/a_directory/* /mnt/usb/a_directory

It is certainly a pain in the ass if there are several directories,
but at least it works. The * gets expanded to a file list in
alphabetical order.