Re: sort files by name and maintain sort order when copying to mp3 player

* Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> [080324 04:49]:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 04:06:15AM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > After two hours of searching with Google and Yahoo, I have not found a
> > good approach to the problem of maintaining proper file order when
> > copying mp3 files from an ext3 directory to a flash-based mp3 player.
> > In the Debian archives is a utility named "fatsort" which addresses
> > this problem, but it necessitates mounting a FAT partition.

Apparently I did not/do not understand the way fatsort works, and was
trying to do things the hard way.

I installed a second small drive, partitioned it, and put on it a vfat
filesystem, but fatsort aborts with an error each time I try to run
it.

Finally, I plugged in my mp3 player, and after demounting it (because
it was automounted by Debian), fatsort appears to work perfectly.

RLH