sort files by name and maintain sort order when copying to mp3 player

After two hours of searching with Google and Yahoo, I have not found a
good approach to the problem of maintaining proper file order when
copying mp3 files from an ext3 directory to a flash-based mp3 player.

Contrary to the instruction manual, the player (a Creative MUVO) plays
files in the order in which they are written to flash memory, so if I
have an audio book with a hundred chapters on an ext3 drive and then
copy the book to the mp3 player, the chapters do not necessarily play
in proper sequence.

The player is inexpensive, and does not support playlists.

In searching, I discovered that others also have this problem, but
there appears to be no standard Linux utility to solve the problem.

But perhaps someone has written such a utility written in Perl?

In the Debian archives is a utility named "fatsort" which addresses
this problem, but it necessitates mounting a FAT partition.

RLH