Re: Using Exim

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 01:05:24PM +0200, Tero M?ntyvaara wrote:

> >You will also need to install some kind of POP or IMAP daemon to handle
> >this part.
> >
> What is/are the "default" POP and/or IMAP server(s) of the Debian etch?

There isn't a default POP or IMAP server, take your pick.

> But if fetchmail receives my mail from internet and a POP/IMAP server
> delivers mail in LAN, what is the purpose of the Exim then :-O?

Fetchmail Pop's the mail and hands it off to the local exim that then
does its magic and sends it where it belongs (taking into acount
/etc/aliases, ~/.forward, etc).

Exim also sends all mail.  Without Exim, you can't send mail either
locally or to other boxes.

Try reading:
	the mail-administration HOWTO (doc-linux-howto)
	the exim spec document

Doug.