Re: Using Exim

On Sunday 23 March 2008 04:05:24 am Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
> >> c) I want that standalone server receives LAN and internet mail of LAN
> >> users.
> >
> > When setting up exim, it'll ask you if you what range you want to act as
> > a smarthost for.  Tell it your local network's information.
>
> Did you mean range of IP addresses to act as a smarthost?

Netmask, actually, like 192.168.0.1/24 for example.

> >> d) I want that users can receive their mail from mail server by their
> >> favourite MUA in LAN.
> >
> > You will also need to install some kind of POP or IMAP daemon to handle
> > this part.
>
> What is/are the "default" POP and/or IMAP server(s) of the Debian etch?

I don't believe there is a default one; POP and IMAP aren't strictly necessary
for email.

> But if fetchmail receives my mail from internet and a POP/IMAP server
> delivers mail in LAN, what is the purpose of the Exim then :-O?

Fetchmail needs something that can deliver email to hand off to.  It doesn't
deliver mail by itself, it only fetches it.  It needs a mail transport agent
to do the delivery.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca