Re: Using Exim

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 03/19/08 22:40, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 March 2008 01:25:35 am Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
>> I have questions concerning usage of Exim4:
>> a) Can Exim4 be set so that it receives mail from mail accounts that
>> user has configured eg in his/her home directory?
> Not by itself, no. You will need to install fetchmail, and each user will
> need to have a .fetchmailrc to fetch mail from another site.

That is if he get's his mail from an ISP.  So, OP needs to clarify
whether this will be for a "home" LAN or a small organization which
will have it's own domain and services.

>> b) Can Exim4 deliver that received mail in LAN?
> Yes. If you install exim via dpkg, you will be prompted which network range
> you would like to deliver mail for (ie, act as a smarthost for).

> Hope this helps.

Thank you all. :-) Something about my self.... I am quite familiar with mail protocols. The problem is that I am not familiar with software to handle mail transfer.

I think I should describe the situation of mine that I am dreaming of ;-).

a) I have ADSL internet connection that has dynamic address and mail account by ISP. ISP is using some kind of port restriction for mail transfer to standard port. b) Mail accounts of users are using POP3 protocols. There is mail accounts from ISP, but there is also Gmail accounts using non-standard ports. c) I want that standalone server receives LAN and internet mail of LAN users. d) I want that users can receive their mail from mail server by their favourite MUA in LAN. e) I want that MUA handles the mail sending by its own so mail server in LAN just receives user mail and serves them in LAN. f) I am planning to use mail server with Horde Groupware Webmail edition. Is my composition suitable for that?