Re: Using Exim

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 10:48:04 pm Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:

> I think I should describe the situation of mine that I am dreaming of ;-).
>
> a) I have ADSL internet connection that has dynamic address and mail
> account by ISP. ISP is using some kind of port restriction for mail
> transfer to standard port.
> b) Mail accounts of users are using POP3 protocols. There is mail
> accounts from ISP, but there is also Gmail accounts using non-standard
> ports.

fetchmail is what will work with you on these two points.

> c) I want that standalone server receives LAN and internet mail of LAN
> users.

When setting up exim, it'll ask you if you what range you want to act as a
smarthost for.  Tell it your local network's information.

> d) I want that users can receive their mail from mail server by their
> favourite MUA in LAN.

You will also need to install some kind of POP or IMAP daemon to handle this
part.

> e) I want that MUA handles the mail sending by its own so mail server in
> LAN just receives user mail and serves them in LAN.

That's pretty much the default with any MTA, even if it's standalone and not
exchanging mail outside the network.

> f) I am planning to use mail server with Horde Groupware Webmail
> edition. Is my composition suitable for that?

Which mail server?  If you mean exim, yeah, that'll work.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca