Re: RAID suggestions?

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Luke S Crawford wrote:
> What we are looking for here is a "good enough" raid solution... something
> that costs significantly less than completely duplicating the $800 server
> or workstation in question, (meaning most "good" raid solutions you

Then DROP the idea of hw-raid.  Get a damn good SATA/SCSI/SAS HBA, and use
software raid.   BTW, damn good means no VIA, SiS, nVidia, or other
el-cheap-o half-broken SATA

There is no middle-ground in hardware raid.  Either get the realy good
stuff, or don't use it for RAID.

You can probably get a "middle-level" hw-raid card, and use it as JBOD for
Linux software-raid.  This is useful especially for SATA.

When doing software RAID, *DO* use mdadm array checks daily, or at the very
least a SMART long test daily.   This is all the protection you have against
bit rot causing a non-recoverable mess in your array when you lose a disk:
you have to find bad sectors early, and refresh them.

  Henrique Holschuh