Re: RAID suggestions?

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 03/18/08 15:41, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
[snip]
changes in HD tech).  6.  I have seen dozens of catastrophic  hardware
controller failures with complete data lost and not one mdadm failure.

That just means you're using sucky hardware.  We've been using h/w
controllers for 15 years, and never had a problem.

Of course, they are proprietary, and from a Tier 1 vendor, cost a
lot of money, and maintenance fees are high.

But we've never lost data from a controller failure.  (And damned
little loss from any other reason, either, since there's a 24x7
admin staff that pays attention to drive failure lights, and
replaces them immediately.)

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

And that detailed care makes all the difference in the world! Now limp along with a drive failure, add a controller that needs updating and perform the update. Suddenly you find the meta data is "unstable" and you can not recover from it. I have NOT seen data loss from a professional, on the ball data center.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com