Re: RAID suggestions?

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> Or... don't buy sucky h/w in the first place.  If you *really* care
> about your data, you spend the extra bucks for quality h/w that has
> a competent support staff behind it.  And you pay for an adequate
> backup solution!

I think most people on this list are not looking to blow a Porsche (or more)
on a netapp or EMC storage appliance.  sure, they're great if you've
got the scratch, and if your data is really valuable, they might even make
economic sense.    But they don't make sense for your average debian user,
who could buy several thousand backup  workstations or servers  for
the price of one of the aforementioned 'good' raid boxes.

What we are looking for here is a "good enough" raid solution... something
that costs significantly less than completely duplicating the $800 server
or workstation in question, (meaning most "good" raid solutions you
speak of are right out.)  and that gives a significantly better MBTF
(and/or performance) than just one disk.

Personally,  I run on a mix of single disks and software mirrors... but if
someone knows of a raid card that (along with a redundant disk) doesn't
double the cost of my server and that significantly increases MBTF or
performance over software mirroring, I'm all ears.