Re: Unpredictable drive naming with multiple SATA controllers

On Mar 19, 4:40 pm, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+deb...@icfo.es>
wrote:
> I had always assumed that the symlinks in /dev/disk/by-path/ worked like
> that
> If I understand your previous emails correctly then /dev/disk/by-path/
> does not work like that for you. That sounds like a bug of udev and/or
> the kernel (driver of the controller, hotplug subsystem or sysfs) to me.

I had high expectation for the /dev/disk/by-path/ links, and, at
first, they seemed to do what I wanted. The ports of the eight-port
controller were designated pci-0000:03:03.0-scsi-0:0:0:0 through ...-
scsi-7:0:0:0, and they matched the physical ports, which was great.
However, after a reboot I discovered that they are now designated like
this: pci-0000:03:03.0-scsi-0:0:0:0, then -scsi-1 and -scsi-2 were
*missing*, then -scsi-3 through -scsi-9 were present, which absolutely
doesn't make sense. :(

I guess I'm stuck with UUIDs.  Not a clean solution, but at least it's
reliable.