Re: KDE hangs

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:16:04AM +0530, sujith h wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I am sujith. I installed KDE. But I am facing an issue with KDE.
	Hello, Sujith!  Let me make some suggestions.

	First: you seem to be able to get into your system in some
	way; perhaps you switch to another tty(with Ctrl-Alt-F2,
	maybe.

	What I have done for years is: disable any X-stuff running
	before I log in.  An easy way to do this is to go to
	/etc/init.d/ and make the script  xdm  non-executable.
	(chmod -x xdm, as root_

	After you have done this, you will, I'm sure, find that
	you can log in -- as root, or as your own user name, or
	whatever -- when the screen is simply white type on black
	background.

	If this works, then you can get a .xinitrc in your home
	directory -- maybe your home directory has this file already --
	and edit it so that the command 'startx' will start KDE, or
	GNOME, or some kind of esoteric mixture, such as I use.

	This procedure separates the issues of logging in from
	the issues of starting KDE.  With the issues separated,
	you will be able to resolve your KDE problems more
	easily, I am sure.

	If you need help with .xinitrc, let us know.  I have a
	nice one, but so do many others.

Very best wishes,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    "He lies.  He spies.  He wants us to ignore