Re: Unpredictable drive naming with multiple SATA controllers

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 07:25:57PM -0700, agenkin@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 18, 9:10 pm, Rich Healey <healey.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I wasn't clear, I'll try to restate the problem. :)
>
> We have thirteen drive bays with removable SATA disks in a box used
> for backups.  The bays are marked 1 through 13, and mount to /backup/
> drive01 .. drive13.  Sometimes we replace some of the disks with new
> ones (e.g. to store the old ones for long-term off-line backups), and
> we want the replaced disk accessible at the same mount point as the
> old disk.  The newly inserted disks will have a different UUID, and,
> should we use UUIDs, the operation will require reconfiguring the host
> to mount the new drives, which is a hassle.

when you replace a drive, could you lable the filesystem so that you can
have in /etc/fstab a LABEL=drive01 so that all drives that you want
mounted on /backup/drive01 would have the same label?

> In essence, we would like to be able to address partitions like it's
> done in a BSD-derived Unix.  For example, in Solaris /dev/dsk/c1t4d5s7
> means "controller 1 target 4 disk 5 slice 7".  Doesn't have to be the
> same syntax, of course, but we'd like to be able to reliably address a
> disk, connected to specific hardware address (a port of a SATA card).

The way devfs worked in Sarge.  I do miss that in Etch with udev.

Doug.