Re: vmware-server with 2.6.24

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 04:18:57PM +0200, Micha wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 06:41:53 +1100
> Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:05:44AM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > > Alex Samad wrote:
> > >
> > > SNIP

> > > If you make a .deb from alien and use dpkg -i, it is as if you are using
> > > apt.  The packagemanager knows it is installed.  Apt is not magical.  It
> > > is a front end to dpkg.
> > true
> >

> > > I can't remember how I hit on this method, however I can tell you I
> > > don't like installing *.tar.gz unless I am making a .deb.  Using Alien
> > > --with-scripts makes me a .deb.  So far in Debian Sid and in Ubuntu 7.10
> > > this method has worked for VMworkstation and VMserver and you don't have
> > > to muck with mod assistant.
> > I will have to have a look at it. I guess before 2.6.24 module assist
> > wasn't a problem
>
> from installing it some a few days ago for a test, the problem is that it won't
> install directly since one of the headers for the kernel driver includes
> (IIRC the include name) asm/bitops.h instead of linux/bitops.h so I had to
> pause (Ctrl-Z) the compilation in the middle and  fix the file.
I have found from previous times trying to install vmware not to look to
hard, sometimes it just go to far, which is why I try and kiss it.  So
tried out the any-any stuff, it worked so I was happy.

But knowing it is a simple things as changing a header file name, I
might re look at it and go back to the kernel modules from the vmware
tar ball

> If there is a debian package or you know how to get at the module files then
> this can probably be avoided.
afaik there are none, apart from the build your own.  Not sure how
vmware would feel about people distributing pre packaged deb's of there
stuff ? pretty sure it doesn't meet debian guidelines either