Re: vmware-server with 2.6.24

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 06:41:53 +1100
Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:05:44AM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > Alex Samad wrote:
> >
> > SNIP
> >> well for 2.6.22 you couls also just do a m-a a-i vmware-server-kernel
> >> and a apt-get install vmware-XXX
> >>
> >> my problem was with 2.6.24.
> >>
> >> I try and do it with apt if possible
> >
> > If you make a .deb from alien and use dpkg -i, it is as if you are using
> > apt.  The packagemanager knows it is installed.  Apt is not magical.  It
> > is a front end to dpkg.
> true
>

> > I can't remember how I hit on this method, however I can tell you I
> > don't like installing *.tar.gz unless I am making a .deb.  Using Alien
> > --with-scripts makes me a .deb.  So far in Debian Sid and in Ubuntu 7.10
> > this method has worked for VMworkstation and VMserver and you don't have
> > to muck with mod assistant.
> I will have to have a look at it. I guess before 2.6.24 module assist
> wasn't a problem

from installing it some a few days ago for a test, the problem is that it won't
install directly since one of the headers for the kernel driver includes
(IIRC the include name) asm/bitops.h instead of linux/bitops.h so I had to
pause (Ctrl-Z) the compilation in the middle and  fix the file.

If there is a debian package or you know how to get at the module files then
this can probably be avoided.