Re: vmware-server with 2.6.24

Alex Samad wrote:

SNIP
well for 2.6.22 you couls also just do a m-a a-i vmware-server-kernel and a apt-get install vmware-XXX

my problem was with 2.6.24.

I try and do it with apt if possible

If you make a .deb from alien and use dpkg -i, it is as if you are using apt. The packagemanager knows it is installed. Apt is not magical. It is a front end to dpkg. I can't remember how I hit on this method, however I can tell you I don't like installing *.tar.gz unless I am making a .deb. Using Alien --with-scripts makes me a .deb. So far in Debian Sid and in Ubuntu 7.10 this method has worked for VMworkstation and VMserver and you don't have to muck with mod assistant.

Damon L. Chesser

damon@damtek.com