Re: Having problem with recording voice

Pete Kay wrote:
Hi

I am able to get my debian running, but not to record audio. I have tried many different solutions without success.

The error I am getting is :

debian:/tmp# rec hello.wav
Send break (control-c) to end recording
sox: Can't open input file '/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy
debian:/tmp#

My amixer out is like this:

debian:/tmp# amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 64
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 58 [91%]
  Front Right: Playback 58 [91%]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 255
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 255 [100%]
  Front Right: Playback 255 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 31
  Front Left: Capture 31 [100%] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 31 [100%] [on]

Can anyone share with me how this problem can be resolved?

Thanks,
Pete

Are you running KDE as your desktop? If so, it takes control of the /dev/dsp device and handles all sound I/O through a daemon.

If this is the case, you need to start the KDE control center app (usually in the Kmenu, simply named 'Control Center'), the second to last item in the left pane is 'Sound and Multimedia', open this and select the item 'Sound System'.

You may choose to turn it off completely (no KDE sound works) but all non-KDE apps will now run without issues), or to auto-suspend if idle for some time period.

--
Bob McGowan