Re: Having problem with recording voice

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 16:20:38 +0800, Pete Kay wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am able to get my debian running, but not to record audio.  I have tried
> many different solutions without success.
>
> The error I am getting is :
>
> debian:/tmp# rec hello.wav
> Send break (control-c) to end recording
> sox: Can't open input file '/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy
> debian:/tmp#

Some process has taken exclusive possession of your audio devices. Run

lsof -w $(find /dev/ -group audio 2>/dev/null)

to find out what is going on.

> My amixer out is like this:
>
> debian:/tmp# amixer
> Simple mixer control 'Master',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 64
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 58 [91%]
>   Front Right: Playback 58 [91%]
> Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 255
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 255 [100%]
>   Front Right: Playback 255 [100%]
> Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
>   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Capture 0 - 31
>   Front Left: Capture 31 [100%] [on]
>   Front Right: Capture 31 [100%] [on]

That seems OK to me; it should work.

> Can anyone share with me how this problem can be resolved?

Post the output of the lsof command that I gave above. Depending on
which process is hogging the audio devices, there should be a way to
make it behave better.

If your main goal right now is to test your recording capability then
you could also simply kill the other process as long as you are
testing, or you could try "arecord" (which uses different sound devices
AFAIK).

          Florian   |