Re: Question about Desktop Environments

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 05:50:47PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sunday 16 March 2008 12:20:36 pm Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 01:48:13PM -0500, Jonathan Jacobs wrote:
> > > I will also tell her that I will install Debian and migrate her email
> > > and word documents over for her.
> >
> > Enjoy teaching her LaTex while she's at it.  May as well get her away
> > from "word" into a real system.
>
> The sarcasm and negativity is unwarranted for what is ultimately a relatively
> minor change in UI for the audience's prospective.

I was being neither sarcastic nor negative.  If the user doesn't need to
interoperate with other Word users, there's no need to stick with OO
just to write letters and notes.  Plain text in a text editor (pick one,
any one) for the odd note and LaTex for typeset documents.  A LaTex
template with lots of comments e.g. "place address here, end lines with
"\\"" is very straightforward to use and produces nice looking letters.

Doug.