Re: is there a comprehensive howto on setting up wireless

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> I have a "Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev
> 02)" wireless card. I am able to access the wireless connection from a
> router (linksys wrt54g) by adding a stanza into /etc/network/interfaces if
> the wireless connection does not use any authentication. However if the
> router is using WPA authentication (using TKIP algorithm) then I am not
> sure howto set it up. There seem to be umpteen number of ways of doing
> this. There seem to be packages that are no longer maintained, packages
> that are deprecated etc., Is there a good comprehensive documentation on
> setting up wireless in Debian using WPA authentication (for all the
> wireless cards and not just for my wireless card)?
>
> I was looking at http://wiki.debian.org/WPA but it seems pretty incomplete
> to say the least. Any ideas?

Hello Raju.

Its sounds as though you have wireless working without authentication but you
want to add WPA authentication. I think that you need to install the
wpasupplicant package. You can then read the details in file
/usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.Debian. Here is the top of the file in Etch:

"wpasupplicant is now integrated into ifupdown. You can configure it in
/etc/network/interfaces, in a similar method to configuring WEP keys[1].
After that, wpa_supplicant will be controlled by ifupdown without further
user intervention.

"For details about integration into the interfaces file, refer to
/usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.modes.gz"

/usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.modes.gz explains how to modify
/etc/network/interfaces.

Hope that helps. It looks straightforward. I have not tested it myself yet, but
it's on my list of things to do.

--
Chris.