Re: DCHP

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:01:08AM -0800, Ken Irving wrote:
> The dhcpd daemon(s) is not on your box, so the behavior you're seeing
> is due to whatever your admins are doing.  The DHCP client on your
> box broadcasts a request for an IP address to the network, identifying
> itself by the MAC address of your interface hardware.  The DHCP servers
> should maintain a record of your MAC address, and should give you the
> same IP unless that information expires (e.g., if you don't show up
> for a month).

...or if the DHCP client sends a message to the server as it shuts down
saying, "I'm done with this address.  Please revoke my lease and make it
available for others to use.", which one of the other replies said is
standard behaviour for the client in question.

> You say there are two DHCP servers; perhaps what you're
> seeing is a different IP reply from one or the other server?

This was my first thought also, though.  The OP may want to verify this
detail, as my experience has been that running more than one DHCP server
on the same network tends to cause Bad Things to happen.

--
News aggregation meets world domination.  Can you see the fnews?
http://seethefnews.com/