Re: DCHP

Note - The convention on this list is to place your reply below previous
messages ("bottom-posting"), after also trimming the quoted part, so that
each message can be read top-down.  I've tried to reorder this reply that
way...

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 03:47:26PM +0100, Cassiel wrote:
> Yes that's the point,
> I know you can map a mac address to ensure a static ip but my network admin
> said this should not be necessary because of the 1 month lease on the servers
> (running debian etch)
>
> I must say I do not know how dchp works exactly, I am a poor web application
> developer :-)
>
> So finally I guess this is the standard behaviour of a dhcpd daemon, at least
> on linux boxes?

The dhcpd daemon(s) is not on your box, so the behavior you're seeing
is due to whatever your admins are doing.  The DHCP client on your
box broadcasts a request for an IP address to the network, identifying
itself by the MAC address of your interface hardware.  The DHCP servers
should maintain a record of your MAC address, and should give you the
same IP unless that information expires (e.g., if you don't show up
for a month).  You say there are two DHCP servers; perhaps what you're
seeing is a different IP reply from one or the other server?  The admins
should be able to fix that; you could maybe force some workaround, but
really shouldn't have to.   This shouldn't have anything to do with what
OS you're running.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci+debianuser@uaf.edu