Re: Connecting the mobile phone via USB

A. F. Cano wrote:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 07:29:09PM +0100, Shams Fantar wrote:
Johann Spies wrote:
On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 08:50:16PM +0100, Shams Fantar wrote:
I didn't find information about my problem. I would like to connect to my computer my mobile phone (http://www.samsung.com/ph/products/gsm/gsm/sgh_z170.asp) via USB. The mobile phone is correctly detected :

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04e8:6601 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd Z100 Mobile Phone

Which software to use for managing my pictures, videos of my mobile phone ? There aren't a lot of information on Google about !

After years of having given up on accessing anything in my phone,
I recently tried again.  Bitpim has evolved a lot lately and even
the version in Etch is almost there.  It still doesn't work with
my phone so I'm trying the versions at http://www.bitpim.org but
I'm having trouble with them too.  The debs have dependency issues and
I can't yet build a deb from the svn source code.  I'm still at it.

I have Samsung Z540 and never had any success with managing the
information on it using Debian.  I could use it as a modem using a
USB-cable and one of the programs I tried (maybe Gammu but I cannot
remember) could copy some stuff from the phonebook but nothing else.

I will probably not buy a Samsung again because of this.

Regards
Johann

Ok. After searching and after many trying, I can't connect my phone via USB to the computer.

There are variuos issues here.  If "dialup" is disabled in your phone,
your computer won't see it as a modem.  In my phone I had to enter the
code "##DIALUP" to enable it.  That part works for me but my carrier
has disabled so many features that to this day I can't use the phone
for anything except to talk and as a modem.  Bluetooth to connect to
the computer has been disabled, web access has been crippled so that
it only works with Verizon's portal (and that means $$$ every time
you use it), email only works with their email gateway (more $$$), etc
etc...  I haven't even been able to get my pictures out of the phoen (it
has a camera) because I refuse to be held for ransom so I don't send
them by email to myself.  So what your carrier does is as important
as the capabilities of the phone.

Too bad. :-(

Thank you for your help, I hope that this problem will be fixed soon. ;-)

Have you checked the list of compatible phones at bitpim.org?  There
might be something you can do.

A.

I've just done some tests/trying with BitPim, but that doesn't work. Moreover, my phone isn't supported by BitPim.

Thanks for your suggestion.

--
Shams Fantar (Website : http://snurf.info)
My public GPG Key : http://snurf.info/sfantar.gpg