Re: Allowing users to mount external drive/thumbdrive

Chris Henry wrote:
Hi,
I've just reinstalled a windows computer with debian today. While I
can add an entry to fstab to allow user to be able to mount an
external drive, it won't allow flexible usage of external
drive/thumbdrive.

If you are using a recent enough version of debian (etch or later),
just adding the user to the floppy group should be enough.

# adduser <username> floppy

Next time the user logs in, plugging in an external drive automatically mounts it.

I realized that Ubuntu allows users to plug just
about anything and have it automatically mounted.

Funny that you mention this, since I am finding it difficult to disable that 'feature' in Ubuntu. Apparently it is not as simple as removing the user from the floppy group (or plugdev, in case of ubuntu)

Can I do the same in
Debian? That means, allowing user to plug a thumbdrive or external
drive and let the computer do the rest.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi