Re: /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 06:34:48PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
From: Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed

From: "s. keeling" <keeling@nucleus.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

I've had a number of occaisions where cups has just failed for me like
that with a "...foomatic-rip failed" message. On different occaisions
I've had different solutions work:
    purge cups* and foomatic* and
anything else printing related I can find and start over
    remove ~/.gnome (not sure why this worked, but it did once).

    remove the existing printer, shutdown cups completely, restart it
    and re-add the printer

    other mysterious mumbo-jumbo that magically fixes printing... :(

It's a big complicated system and seems overly prone to breakage IMO.

I did all everything you explained to me but always .../foomatic-rip failed.

However it's ok now :-) The problem was caused by me ;-)
I use apt-listbugs and I saw six bugs on ghostscript so I put hold in
the selections file.

But five bugs have been corrected and so I decided to upgrade
ghostscript and after that the jobs of the spool is sent to the printer.

I apologise for the inconvenient caused.
--
Gérard