Re: /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed

Gerard Robin <g.robin3@free.fr>:

>  My printer HP Photosmart C7280 printed fine until I upgraded my sid box
>  and now cups gives:
>  /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed
>
>  (the script perl /usr/lib/filter/foomatic-rip exits on my system)
>
>  hp-setup (as root) gives:
>
>  Session management error:
>  Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
>  specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
>
>  I can't print anything now, SOS ...

I'd worry about that Authentication Rejected bit first.  Then try
falling back to another model name of the same type printer, an
earlier version.  I used an Epson that way recently.

Second possibility: rip out all the cups related cruft, find a ppd
from hp for your machine, install gs foomatic-filters
foomatic-db-engine and lpr/lprng, then hack /etc/printcap (this is for
lprng):

lp|To your left: \
    :lp=/dev/lp0: \
    :force_localhost: \
    :if=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip: \
    :ppd=/usr/local/etc/HP-LaserJet_6L-ljet4.ppd: \
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp: \
    :mx#0:sh:

I thank the DDs for their efforts in making this possible.  I had a
devil of a time trying to do this in Sarge, but Etch appears far more
amenable to nutbars like us non-CUPS users.  Great job!