Re: Which stock linux-image kernel for 32 bit debian on amd athlon64 processor?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 03:33:52PM +0000, Tim Channon wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

>> k7 appears to be dead. use -686 or roll your own.
>
> Dead? k7 is in etch, lenny and sid

the -k7 packages in sid are transitional packages that depend on
-686. hence my calling k7 dead.

> There have been bug issues with Deb 4 over AMD SMP needing the K7
> variant and there is the matter of gcc4 biasing to Intel. Which is
> installed is also related to which install is used. CD1 does not include
> K7 but DVD1 does and netinstall will use it too.
> Apparently popularity shows a rather large usage out there. It doesn't
> of course follow that k7 is the best choice.

I use (or did anyway) -k7 on several machines... My vague
understanding is that the performance gains of compiling for k7 were
insufficient to warrant the extra binary image. But that's vague at
best.